Sunday 7 September 2008

Six months old

Lola was born six months ago today. This feels like a massive milestone, which has sneaked up on us without any warning whatsoever. In some ways, it feels like only yesterday that she came into (and rocked) our world and in some it feels like six years.

She was born by emergency Cesarean section and when it became apparent towards the latter part of the labour that this was going to be the delivery method, I panicked that I wouldn't be able bond as well with our baby, as if he/she'd been born via the normal route. However, I had absolutely nothing to worry about. Even though I only saw her for a few moments after she was born (she was taken back to the ward with her Dad and the midwife while I was stitched up and sent to recovery) I was in a state of euphoria, and so desperate to be with her again. We got down to the maternity ward at about midnight and I spent the whole night clutching hold of her tightly, kissing every inch of her face, smelling her amazing hair (or head, or whatever that intoxicating baby smell is) and feeling so utterly grateful for the fact that she was in our lives. I didn't sleep a wink, but didn't care. I felt so, so lucky to have fallen so hopelessly in love with her, so quickly.

Here's some footage of her lying in bed with me in the maternity wing at Lewisham hopsital, the day after she was born.



I remember thinking that this was the first day of the rest of our lives and that everything was going change. I was right.

And here she is, six months on. Eating breakfast and selecting pieces of banana with that same look of determination which she gets when she's pulling at Paul's chest hairs when she comes into bed with us in the morning. I apologise in advance for the inappropriate bodily function. We still have a thing or two to teach her about table manners.



It's something that all parents say - but the time passes so bloody quickly, it's frightening. I've found myself constantly thinking 'this age is the best, I don't want her to get any bigger' and then enjoying the next phase even more. But this one (six months) is particularly brilliant. Lola is eating now (she's devoured every fruit and vegetable we've put in front of her - along with a few other bits), she's sitting pretty well and is crawling (albeit backwards and commando style).

She's a really, really good little girl (even if we do say so ourselves) and is so incredibly happy. We don't call her smile factory for nothing. Such is her sociable nature that she creates little fan clubs wherever she goes - from the Sainsburys in Sydenham to the florist on Lordship Lane in Dulwich.

Don't get me wrong, we've had our fair share of difficult times, such is the challenging and frustrating nature of child-rearing, but they (almost) pale into insignificance next to the good times.

Happy six month birthday sweetheart. We love you like crazy.

1 comment:

Laura Lea said...

your post had me in tears... i love that clip of when you were still in hospital, so beautiful!!! but then I am a hormonal nightmare...

happy six months lovely Lola. and blooming well done on getting through the first six months mum and dad.

Laura Lea xxx