Monday 5 May 2008

Just like old times


It's funny how much you worry as a new parent. Lola spent the first few weeks of her life permanently attached to mine or Paul's chest and was very rarely put down. She never slept anywhere else during the daytime and I wouldn't have had it any other way. It worked very well during the maternity/paternity leave bubble, but caused a few issues when Paul went back to work. Would I ever have a shower/eat lunch/go to the toilet between the hours of 9am and 7pm again? Let alone do the housework. I convinced myself that she absolutely hated her bouncing chair and moses basket as she cried when I put her in them (to be fair she probably whimpered and I whisked her up and back in my arms immediately). The only option was to accept that that my chest would be where she slept during the day (and my life was over).

Then the unthinkable happened and (thanks to Paul) she started to go down in her moses basket. Since then we've progressed very quickly and all of her daytime naps are spent in her moses basket in the bedroom, or if we're out and about in the pram or car seat. In face she's now done a bit of a u turn - where if I do encourage her to sleep on my chest she's unsettled and won't sleep properly - so I don't do it as it would be unfair on her.

While it's wonderfully liberating to have numerous 50 minute-ish slots to myself throughout the day to either chill out or get things done - I really, really miss her sleeping on me. So imagine my pleasure when the little love cuddled up and decided to have a three-hour sleep on my chest today. Bless.

2 comments:

solveig said...

We are going through exactly the same right now. Theo will sleep (most of...) the night in his basket, but during the day he just wants to sleep in our arms - and usually Adrian's arms. As soon as he gets put down he wakes up and cries! I've been stressing about how I'll cope once Adrian goes back to work but reading this has reminded me just how short lived these things are.

S x

Anonymous said...

They don't do these little things forever but when they do it makes it even more special. Lola seems to be coming on so fast! And she's absolutely gorgeous- but you know that anyway. You know she'll kill you when you resurrect these photos on her 18th birthday!!

Claire x